Monthly Archives: July 2011

Dispatches from the Dominican Republic

Our wedding was wonderful and we keep reminiscing and looking at the few preview pictures we've gotten from our photographer and those from friends that have been kind enough to share.  Everything went amazingly well, including catching a break on the weather.  I promise to post more about it (hopefully you are looking forward to it), however this post is about here and now.

The here and now is our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic.  Here we are at the airport, shortly after buying tourist cards for $10, from one agent, walking five feet, and turning the same tourist cards into another agent.

Tired, but excited

Specifically, we are at Dreams Punta Cana.  We've been here for about a day-and-a-half and we are having a blast.  We got in about 2:00pm local time yesterday after spending about 15 hours en route, including a somewhat harrowing hour ride from the airport to the resort.  The two-lane road seemed to be populated mainly by small motorcycles, often with two passengers, and the occasional van or tourist bus.  Our driver, who seemed very competent, don't get me wrong, had a bit of a penchant for passing... with little room to spare at times.  Or at least it seemed in my travel exhaustion.  The same exhaustion helped keep me from getting too excited about things, though, and we made it safely to the resort.

At the beach

Unfortunately, neither of us got much sleep on the way here, so we crashed for a couple of hours when we got in, but not before having a bite to eat and a quick peek at the beach where there was a wedding happening!  They weren't as cute as us (I'm not biased, am I?) and they certainly didn't catch a break on the weather like us, as a light tropical shower started up as they were in the middle of the ceremony.
We might not have made long enough to witness this, but we were checking in a bit early, as it turned out, and we had to kill some time before our room was ready.   Soon enough, we were resting peacefully in our room and after a couple hours of napping , we decided to go find some more food.

(Yeah, right, like I'm going to give you any more details than that about the time we spend in bed!)

We headed from our room to try the Japanese steakhouse, but it wasn't entirely clear where it was from our resort map.  We found ourselves in the nearby main lobby looking for help.  A friendly hotel staff member, whom we assumed was a concierge, offered us some chairs and we thought he was going to help us to the restaurant.  Alas, Celestian was not a concierge, and before we knew what was going on, we were getting signed up for a timeshare... er... "vacation club" spiel.  We managed to push him off until Sunday (not sure if we will bother to attend) but by the time we'd escaped and made it to the Japanese steakhouse, they were full for the evening.  Oh well, there are still other opportunities to have people juggle sharp knives and throw shrimp at us this trip.

So instead of Japanese, we had Mexican for dinner and then watched a hypnotist show at the main stage.  Neither one of us were brave enough to volunteer - I have an irrational fear of audience participation.  There weren't any shortage of volunteers and the show went on without us.  I actually think the volunteers were hypnotized, but Amber was more skeptical.  The most interesting suggestions to me were making people forget things like their last names or the number six.  Okay, not exactly hilarious, but interesting that you could (possibly) suggest to someone that the number six did not exist and watch them skip it several times counting on their fingers.

Just as the show finished up, the sky opened up and started dumping rain.  It was actually pretty cool - lightening and thunder and everything.  The power went out in our room, but didn't stay off long enough to be a problem and we fell asleep to the sounds of the rain on the roof.

Today was a vastly different day.  It was sunny and warm all day and the beach was awesome.

The view from my lounge chair

We spent most of the day there, cycling between hanging out in the water, applying sunscreen, and relaxing in beach chairs.  The water here is warm and incredibly salty and it is really easy to float.  When we tired of the beach, we moved to the pool for a little while.  We even managed to make it to the fitness center for a short workout this afternoon as well as write some postcards to friends and family back home.

I wrote most of this post in the lounge tonight as we were waiting for our room to be made up.  When we headed back to our room, we discovered two things: it started raining again tonight and there was a tarantula hanging out on the path back to our room.  I tried to get a picture of it with my phone, but unfortunately it was too dark to see even with the flash.

Time to order room service.  Because we can.  Hooray for all inclusive!

It's been a great day.  And I'm sure there are more to come.

We’re married!

It's official, we are married! 198775_10150265623898706_152850518705_7392700_8166181_n

This is a photo from our first look session on Alki.  Actually, it is an iPhone photo of the screen of our photographer's camera which is showing a photo from our first look session on Alki, but I like it.

There will be much, much more blogging of the events of the past few days to come (promise) but we are taking some time to spend with friends and family before we wing our way to the Dominican Republic for our honeymoon so the posts will probably start appearing later.

Thanks to all our family and friends for their love and support.

Love you, Amber!

Judgmental Fail

I forgot to include this in my last post just now.  I have about a half mile to walk from my bus stop to my building and I noticed this graffiti on a window on the way in yesterday:

Judgemental Fail

I think his message would be more powerful if the author knew what version of "your" he should use, don't you?  I stood there for about twenty seconds deciding whether I should add my correction, but I didn't have a red sharpie with me and I decided that the fine/jail time for correcting graffiti was probably the same as writing it in the first place were one of Seattle's finest to happen by as I was doing my editing.

My (Bus) Buddy and Me

My Bus Buddy and MeI've been commuting to Seattle for almost a full week, and other than adjusting to an earlier morning, I've been enjoying it quite a bit.  Out of the last four days, Amber and I have bussed three times and carpooled once.  Admittedly, I might have a different perspective if it was crappy weather right now or if I had to transfer onto a metro bus, but it's been good so far.  Here's a picture of my bus buddy and me riding to Seattle earlier this week. 

Amber has been very helpful in this process, helping me navigate non-intuitive rules for bus riding including when to pay (as you get on in Redmond in the morning and when you get off coming from Seattle in the evening, except if it is after seven p.m. in which case you pay when you get on the bus), how to alert the bus driver that you want to get off, etc.  And she's there to remind me where my stop is.  I think everyone should ride with a bus buddy.  My worst bus fail was on the way home on the first night.  Instead of getting on the express bus, I took a regular non-express bus home because it got to the stop first.  It wasn't a horrible mistake, but it did cost me a little bit of time when we got to Redmond as the bus seemed to stop every ten feet or so on 148th.

Working in Seattle has been a bit of an adjustment, but it's mostly good.  I am concerned that I won't be able to resist all the tasty food options around our building.  In the last four days, I've been to two different espresso places three times (technically three espresso places four times, but the last one was just to Starbucks with some friends and I didn't have anything), Serious Pie for lunch with the team (awesome!) and the Brave Horse tavern for lunch one day and happy hour yesterday.  I did manage to pack a lunch two out of the four days, so hopefully I'll be able to resist temptation.