Blog downtime

I don't know if anyone noticed or not, but my blog was down for about 12 hours last night, and has been up and down this afternoon.  Astute readers may have noticed the link to Umbraco at the bottom of the page - Umbraco is the content management system (CMS) that I'm using to manage and render this blog.  It's actually rather nice open source software, built on Microsoft technology, so it seemed like a good way to go when I decided to migrate from Windows Live Spaces and my blog there to my own domain.  Anyway, to make a long story short, I tried to update the version of Umbraco I was using last night, and somehow in the process, my site stopped working.  I mean really stopped working.  I don't think it was anything to do with the new Umbraco bits, though.  I think that something I (or someone else on the same server) did really hoarked the server based on the error messages I was getting.

By the time this was going on it was about 1:00 a.m., and I decided that there wasn't anything I could do but contact support.  I'm using Softsys hosting, and I must say that I've been very happy with their support so far.  I submitted my site down ticket last night at 1:04 a.m and by 1:12 a.m they responded saying they were looking into it.  At 1:40 a.m., they emailed to tell me that it was fixed, but I'd given up for the night and went to bed.  If I was running a site with a ton of traffic or some sort of commerce, I wouldn't be happy with that much downtime, but odds are that no one noticed the down time except for me, and since this is a hobby for me, their turn around time was more than sufficient.

So anyway, when I saw the email this morning, I tried to finish the upgrade, but I was still running into some issues, so I just pointed it back at my old site.  My blog rendered, but the Umbraco "back office" still wasn't working right, so something was still messed up.  After playing around off and on all night, I finally decided to diff the web.config on the server with the standard one from the Umbraco 4.5.1 build.  Lo and behold, there were a bunch of aspx handler configuration lines missing somehow.  How this happened, I have no idea, but when I dropped the one from the build (first altering it to point to my DB), everything started working again.  Whew!

Long story short, assuming this post is successful, everything is back the way it was before I started messing around with stuff.  What's frustrating is that I still haven't made any progress getting my Umbraco installation up-to-date and I haven't fixed any of the nagging issues with the blog, like being able to post pictures from Live Writer.

This post was a lot of boring semi-technical stuff, so I will try to follow up with a more interesting one real quick.  Clicking publish and crossing my fingers now…

Post a comment